Re: Packet writing on NEC1300

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 20:54:02 +0200
Andy Polyakov <appro@fy.chalmers.se> wrote:

> > I've got problems with Andy Polyakov's DVD+RW kernel patch. I'm
> > using kernel 2.4.21 and I've got a NEC 1300 drive.
>
> As the web page mentions, even though DVD+RW is specified to provide
> for true random write, not all units actually live up to this promise.
> Unfortunately:-( In addition to 2nd generation Ricoh-based units (as
> mentioned on the page), SONY units were also reported to work
> reliably, but that's about it... At least among a number of reports
> from NEC users, not a single one was a success story:-(

Well, NEC say it is supposed to do packet writing. Does anyone know
whether this works under Windows? If so, I might have a go at
reverse-engineering it.

> A combination that is known to work reliably with kernel patch and any
> unit is to bind /dev/scdN to /dev/raw/rawN and use /dev/raw/rawN
> effectively as a tape device, e.g. with tar or cpio (also mentioned on
> the page in "performance optimization" paragraph).

Yes, I've tried this, it works fine. Still, it would have been nice to
have a disk drive and not just a tape device.
It's odd that a sequential write to /dev/scd0 fails, but a sequential
write to /dev/raw/raw1 works OK. How to the SCSI commands that they send
to the device differ?