Re: Lacie external drive, growisofs and compatibility with windoze

Well, it seems I found the solution (in any case, thanks for your suggestions,
Andy).

It wasn't related neither to growisofs nor to the device (I was using the same
device to write in linux and read in windows), while it was probably a
problem with mkisofs. Indeed, I found that "isoinfo -J -l -i /dev/sr0"
returns strange names for the iso images I burn, e.g., "test.txt____strange
chars___" instead of just "test.txt". The rockridge directory, instead, is
correct. This explains why linux can access the volume (it uses RR), while
windows fails (it uses joliet).

After discovering this I make the hypothesis it was a charset problem and in
fact using:

growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/sr0 -R -jcharset utf-8 files...

apparently solved the problem (choosing other charsets, e.g., iso8859-1,
cp437, cp850, does not work). I also discovered that previous versions of the
libc6 does not present this behavior (I am currently using "debian unstable",
i.e., libc6 v. 2.3.2.ds1-10).

Anyone having the same problem? Do you know other, more definitive solutions?
Other explanations?

Thanks again
  G.