Re: Kmail logging

On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 04:15:54PM -0500, Dennis Busboom wrote:
> Is there a way to have kmail make log entries for mail that is sent?
> Currently mail is sent from the client with the ISP's smtp server
> specified which works fine.  But there is no logging of outbound
> mail this way, and the ISP won't allow smarthost/relayhost/etc
> so passing mail through the local server, which would handle the logging,
> isn't an option.

I don't see how the ISP can know the difference between kmail sending
directly and an SMTP daemon on your box sending.  Unless they count
received headers or something, but a simple daemon like qpsmtpd could be
patched to remove them and just forward the remainder.  And it (like as
you say any smtpd) could be made to log what it had sent.  I don't have
a direct answer to your question though I'm afraid.

Nick