Re: Compatibility of GPLv2 and Apache v2 (OpenSSL again)

Ben Finney <bignose@d.o> writes:

>Sebastian Andrzej Siewior <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Clamav for instance has this piece:
>
>Right. That piece is not part of any version of the GPL; it is an
>additional clause in the grant for recipients of that specific work
>(ClamAV).

Yes and my understanding is that every GPLv2 software, that links
against openssl, needs such an addon.

>So each work needs to be examined for its specific grant, to see what
>the full combination of effective license conditions are to the
>recipient of that specific work.

The wording (of the addon) was drafted on debian-legal a few years back.

>> OpenSSL upstream now switched the license from BSD style to Apache
>> License 2.0.
>
>What can you cite for that change?
>
>The official OpenSSL site contradicts that claim. According to
><URL:https://www.openssl.org/source/license.html>, OpenSSL is subject to
>the conditions of the terms of both OpenSSL License and, simultaneously,
>Original SSLEay License. Neither of these is Apache License 2.0.

So this is true for series 1.1.1 and earlier. The master branch will be
released as 3.0 and some point. So we have some time to clarify this :)
Please see
  https://github.com/openssl/openssl/blob/master/LICENSE
  https://www.openssl.org/blog/blog/2018/11/28/version/

Sebastian