Re: Reverting to GNOME for jessie's default desktop

On Fri, 08 Aug 2014 18:47:59 +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> Quoting Camaleón (2014-08-08 18:26:22)
>>>
>>> Including all potential DE options on the main install disc (so the
>>> user can make that choice in a no-net install) will mean a huge
>>> bandwidth increase, not to mention that probably means bluray-only.
>>
>> I think there's no need to make any change about the DE options for
>> the first DVD, current ones (gnome, kde, xfce and lxde, AFAIK) are OK
>> as long as the installation menu is adapted to ask the user which DE
>> to install or to no install a DE at all.
>
> I guess many of those who can afford a system with Blueray reader and
> waste bandwidth downloading an image for Blueray (which is needed for
> offering multiple desktops during install, I believe) likely would want
> a shiny desktop like GNOME or KDE.

I don't think so.

In fact, what I do is getting the first DVD ISO image and install from
there, though I have a quite good Internet connection (FTTH) and manage a
mixed environment with servers (no DE here), workstations and desktops
computers (where I install a DE).

And given the first DVD already contains four DE, I don't see any good
reason to remove them, unless space is now getting a concern. Anyway,
despite the DE available on there, I still think no default selection
would be desiderable.

> I don't expect that to be a common install media, however.

Neither do I. Blu-ray has been always on my "not-to-buy" list.

>>> There already exist netinst media that solve that problem much better
>>> by including no DE packages on the media.
>>
>> Netinst media and other install options are not the main subject of
>> this thread.
>
> Wrong.
>
> This thread is about "default desktop", not "default desktop on CD/DVD".
>
> It is about which default we suggest for our users.

AFAIK, there's only one medium (because of its size) that "forces" you to
choose a default DE and that's DVD (and/or Blu-ray). CDs provide their own
ISO for every desktop flavor so you download the desired one.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón