Re: Reverting to GNOME for jessie's default desktop

On Fri, 08 Aug 2014 12:09:56 -0400, Michael Gilbert wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 11:52 AM, Camaleón wrote:
>> I really (and still) like the idea of having no default desktop at all
>> and let the users decide by themselves if they even want to get a DE
>> when performing a DVD based installation.
>
> Including all potential DE options on the main install disc (so the user
> can make that choice in a no-net install) will mean a huge bandwidth
> increase, not to mention that probably means bluray-only.

I think there's no need to make any change about the DE options for the
first DVD, current ones (gnome, kde, xfce and lxde, AFAIK) are OK as long
as the installation menu is adapted to ask the user which DE to install
or to no install a DE at all.

> There already exist netinst media that solve that problem much better by
> including no DE packages on the media.

Netinst media and other install options are not the main subject of this
thread.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón