Re: [Nbd] Testing NBD server implementations for correctness

On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 11:43:39AM +0100, Alex Bligh wrote:

> > On 25 Sep 2016, at 04:56, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006@...2724...> wrote:
> >
> > I am currently developing some experimental NBD protocol extensions to
> > change the characteristics of the backing store. Now I want to test
> > whether my implementation actually survives a stress test.
> > Which applications can test a NBD server thoroughly? So far, I have used
> > nbd-verify 0.4 and it did uncover one bug. However, there are probably
> > other testing programs as well. I'm especially looking for tests of
> > unaligned read/write/trim.
> >
> > Any hints would be appreciated.
>
> Have you tried nbd-tester-client (in nbd/tests/run)? In particular
> the integrity test stuff, which does a pretty thorough stress test.

You may have to modify the "simple_test" script in the "tests/run"
directory to run your nbd server rather than the reference
implementation, if you're working on a separate implementation.

> >From memory "make check" runs all the tests, though I think it
> skips the 'huge' integrity test.

Indeed, because that sometimes deadlocks.

> It's easy enough to re-enable that.

Sure. Just edit Makefile.am, and remove the # at the start of
"#integrityhuge", and then run "autoreconf -f -i"

--
< ron> I mean, the main *practical* problem with C++, is there's like a dozen
       people in the world who think they really understand all of its rules,