[Nbd] How to test NBD

Hi, all, my first post here.

I'm trying to locate the source of a problem with Linux Terminal Server Project (LTSP), which uses NBD (the new name-based protocol, not port-based) to boot client computers.

It worked fine through Ubuntu 13.04 (Raring), but with Ubuntu 13.10 (Saucy), the clients fail to boot, displaying:
    Error: socket failed: connection refused
    Exiting
I have suspected that the error is NBD-related.

Regardless of the cause, I found that the bug appears between Ubuntu kernel 3.10.0-4.13 and 3.10.0-5.14. But I am thwarted when trying to commit bisect the Ubuntu kernel. The very first bisect attempt results in the message "A merge base must be tested," which apparently results from non-linear tags.

I am advised that, instead of trying further to bisect the Ubuntu kernel, I should switch to trying to bisect the mainline kernel. The above Ubuntu kernels map to mainline kernels 3.10.1 and 3.10.2. But it turns out that LTSP in Ubuntu is using overlayfs or aufs, which are not part of the mainline kernel. So I can't use LTSP to test the mainline kernels.

I am advised that I should just test NBD, without involving LTSP or netbooting.

But I don't know much about how to do that. I have the LTSP client image located on the server at /opt/ltsp/images/i386.img. The LTSP NBD configuration file sets up a reference to that with the name "/opt/ltsp/i386." On another computer on the network running Ubuntu standalone, I issued:
$ nbd-client <server IP> -N /opt/ltsp/i386 /dev/nbd0

This resulted in output:
    Negotiation:  ..sz = 1586MB
    bs = 1024    sz = 1663057920 bytes

I think (but don't know) that this indicates NBD is working, at least to some extent. In a *working Ubuntu 13.04 setup,* the above output on the client would be followed by "* starting system logging daemon" and other daemon startup messages.

I don't know if my two slim lines of output partly or completely exonerate NBD as the source of my bug.

Can someone evaluate what I've done so far, and give me further or better testing instructions if needed? Kindly keep in mind that I am just a somewhat-experienced end-user, so don't assume too much.