Re: [Nbd] NBD_CMD_RESIZE

On 17-05-13 20:51, Paul Clements wrote:
> On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 2:06 PM, Nick Thomas <nick@...1342...
> <mailto:nick@...1342...>> wrote:
>

>     I notice that Alex Bligh proposed the addition of NBD_CMD_RESIZE (along
>     with some others) to the NBD protocol back in 2011:
>
>     http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.nbd.general/993
>
>     I'm assuming this didn't go anywhere, at the time; would there be any
>     interest in reviving the idea? I find myself wanting to implement
>     block_resize in QEMU for NBD devices.
>
>     One option is to stop the NBD server, resize the file, start NBD again,
>     then run a peculiar version of block_resize that reconnects, reads the
>     new size and advertises that to the guest;
>
>     but NBD_CMD_RESIZE would be considerably simpler.
>

> Agreed.
>
> I'd be open to patches, if you have some. Doesn't appear it would take
> much in the kernel to get this functioning.

I guess it's going to take slightly more to get this functioning in
userspace, but I'd similarly be open to patches.

--
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space.

If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you
will not go to space today.

  -- http://xkcd.com/1133/