Re: [Nbd] About error management

On 28 Dec 2012, at 14:34, Tuomas Jorma Juhani Räsänen wrote:

> My suggestion is that because we are already depending on libglib and
> using it's error reporting framework in few places, we should try to
> use the same mechanism everywhere. In other words, we should pass
> GError** to functions requiring an error reporting mechanism and then
> make the error handling decisions in the caller.

I'm not a huge fan of the the GError stuff. I admit most of that is
ignorance, but my main criterion for a daemon is that it can send
errors to the syslog (if running as a daemon) or stderr (in debug
mode) via a CLI switch. Some form of 'debug level' passing is also
useful.

I am however a huge fan of disentangling the error handling and start
up code, which appears to have become somewhat baroque over the years.

Documenting how the back compatibility stuff works would be great,
as would updating the test suite.

These were all things I meant to do in my last surge of nbd activity
but didn't get round to.

--
Alex Bligh