Re: [Nbd] Deadlock Issues with Local NBD Server

Adam Cozzette <acozzette@...946...> writes:

> I'm interested in setting up a FUSE-like infrastructure in userspace that will
> use NBD and allow people to develop virtual block devices without having to
> write any kernel code. For example, one of the things I would like to do is
> create a deduplicating block device, and it would be easiest if I could
> prototype it in userspace. The setup would be fairly simple and just involve a
> server that speaks NBD's protocol and implements whatever kind of block device
> you want it to be.

I'm verry interested in that too. My solution at the moment is running
nbd-server in a virtual machine to make it not local.

But maybe NBD is the wrong thing for this. For a strictly local setup
there i no reason to pipe all data through the tcp/ip stack. Maybe we
should develope a BUSE (Block device in Uer SpaceE) just like fuse and
cuse do for filesystems and character devices already.

MfG
        Goswin