[Nbd] what about...

What about compression of the data?
I noticed that nbd-server is capable of doing 3GB/s through localhost
so clearly there's a bottleneck when using 1Gb networks.
I did some googling and for example the tinc vpn uses zlib compression
for the real-time compression of the networkstream.
The flag for this could be added to the regular read/write commands
(like the barrier (fua?) flag). The length/size-field then should
indicate the compressed length.

Also:
Maybe we need something in the handshake which sets an upper limit in
the size of the data. E.g. max. 256KB or so. Could be usefull for
embedded platforms with little RAM.