Re: [Nbd] nbd-client: timeout option not working

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 04:12:43PM +0200, Valerio Pachera wrote:
> Off course I tryed to add timeout=3 to nbd-client on the host
> but...nothing change: the device nbd0 and the relative nbd-client
> processes stay there till ever (or almost), sure not 3 seconds.
>
> On the host
> nbd-client  timeout=20 192.168.5.2 2000 /dev/nbd1
> WARNING: old-style command-line argument encountered. This is deprecated.
> Negotiation: ..size = 1048576KB
> bs=1024, sz=1048576
>
> Why do I get a warning?

Because you used the syntax "timeout=20" rather than "-timeout 20". The
former is a positional argument, the latter isn't. The '-timeout'
syntax is also easier to parse. The 'timeout=' may eventually be
removed, but for now it should give you the same result.

> Why timeout is not working with recent kernels?

I'm not sure, to be honest. If you specify a timeout, nbd-client runs

ioctl(nbd, NBD_SET_TIMEOUT, timeout)

which is supposed to communicate a timeout to the kernel. Beyond that,
it happens at the other end of the syscall... Paul, any idea?

the following formula:

pi zz a