Re: [Nbd] Bug with large reads and protocol issue

Paul,

--On 3 June 2011 12:08:40 -0400 Paul Clements <paul.clements@...856...> wrote:

Right, the driver expects to get the amount of data that was requested
back from the nbd-server, except when the reply header indicates an
error, in which case it expects no data.

Indeed. And right now what the server returns for errors that occur
more than 128KB in is
 [HEADER WITH NO ERROR]
 [SOME DATA BUT NOT THE WHOLE LOT]
 [RANDOM EXTRA HEADER WHERE DATA SHOULD BE]

The kernel then thinks it is waiting for the rest of the data. Which is
bad :-)

Recent kernel clients might not actually issue read requests >128KB
for the reasons you set out earlier, but we have at least some kernels
that do (see Wouter's response), and this is useful for some clients
to do (I wonder if I can make max size be tweaked by an ioctl).

--
Alex Bligh