Re: [Nbd] Unable to find nbd.h file while NBD installation

On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 09:21:26AM +0800, Wei Li wrote:
> On 14 Nov 2007 11:30:51 -0000, Azeez Ahamed wrote
> > Thanks for the reply.
> >
> >    This issue was fixed by installing the nbd 2.7.8 utils.
> >
> >    I want to know what was the issue when nbd 2.9.8 was used. Please
> > let me the fix for this package(2.9.8) otherwise i will miss out some
> > new features that is there in 2.8.x.
>
> I don't think this is something that need a "fix". The configuration
> script is looking for a _compatible_ nbd.h. RHEL 4 comes with too old an
> NBD kernel module.

No, that's not true; the nbd protocol and API have not changed
incompatibly since well before I started maintaining the userland tools.
It should be possible to just pick an nbd.h from the most recent kernel,
compile the nbd utilities against that, and use them on a 2.2 kernel.

> Port back a new one (the kernel part) from a recent kernel may not be
> too hard?

There's no need. Except of course for any bugfixes that have come
available in more recent kernels, but then that's not NBD-specific.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22