Re: [Nbd] nbd hanging doing an svnadmin hotcopy

Okay, I have learned another way to find out what the process is waiting on, namely getting ps to output the WCHAN field using the -o option. Now that I've done that, I see kjournald is hung on sync_buffer, and svnadmin is hung on sync_page.

Is there any known problems with using nbd with journaled filesystems?

Sorry for cluttering up the list like this, but I figure if I post everything i know, maybe that will help someone else in the future.

Cheers,

Eric

Eric Gerlach wrote:
About an hour and a half after it froze it started going again, but then froze on the next repository (it's a batch job that backs up all the repositories), and has been frozen for the last six hours or so. Now svnadmin is stuck in a different place, though nbd-client seems to be in roughly the same place....

Again, if there's anyone out there who can offer a pointer (or where more pertinent data could be found), it would be much appreciated.

Eric Gerlach wrote:
Hi,

I'm testing out using nbd to host svn repositories because nfs doesn't work. However, when tyring to do an svnadmin hotcopy the whole thing has hung. I can't even kill -9 the processes involved, so I'm assuming it's in the kernel.

I thought it might be a TCP timeout issue, so I've waited long past the 15 minute TCP timeout (read that somewhere), but not one bit has changed in the call traces of the processes during that time.

It's a Debian Etch system, running the latest (2.6.18-5) kernel with nbd-client 2.8.7 userland. I've pulled the call traces of the offending process if that helps anyone. If I'm asking for help in the wrong place, let me know so I can try there. However if anyone has any experience with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance for your help.

Cheers,

Eric

--
Eric Gerlach, Network Administrator