Re: [Nbd] Still cdaudio problems

On Sun, Sep 30, 2007 at 02:21:27PM -0400, R Dicaire wrote:
> Hi folks...I'm still unable to get cdaudio working over nbd.
> I can export the device fine, nbd-client connects fine, an audio cd is
> in the drive and can be played locally. I tried various players, XMMS,
> kscd, beep, even the venerable workbone commandline player, none
> recognize /dev/nbd0 as a cdrom, or the player reports no Table Of
> Contents readable from nbd0. In all instances possible, I have the
> player set to use digital extraction, not analog.
[...]
> open("/dev/nbd0", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK)  = 3
> ioctl(3, CDROMSUBCHNL, 0xbf8f46d0)      = -1 EINVAL (Invalid argument)

Forget it; that's not possible.

The only system calls that are valid on an nbd device are read and
write; and for ioctl(), you can only use the ioctl()s that allow you to
manage the NBD device itself. Anything else requires extension of the
protocol, which I'm not keen on.

If you really, _really_ want to, you can try "ENBD", which does try to
provide this sort of thing. I wouldn't recommend it, though; you're far
better of by simply streaming your audio over the network. Try vlc, if
you want that.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22