[Nbd] Server without Glib?

Hullo there.

For reasons that (for brevity's sake) I won't go into now, I've found myself in a position where I very much want to run nbd-server on a system which does not use Glib.  I know that this is currently impossible, but I was wondering: how much work would it take to convert the source code into a form that would compile and run on my machine?  Would it be an achievable task for somebody who has only just learnt C?  (I've been meaning to learn C for a while now; this might just give me the kick I need to do it.)

Thanks in advance,
Tom :)