Re: [Nbd] NBD over SCTP

On Sun, Feb 11, 2007 at 09:37:29AM -0600, Phil Howard wrote:
> I'm doing some thought processes on designing a general file association
> protocol to be layered on top of SCTP.  This would serve a few roles such
> as being able to (mostly, hopefully) replace NFS (without the RPC), FTP,
> RSYNC, etc.  One thing I'd like to do is also make it capable of serving
> the needs similar to NBD.  I think it should be relatively simple as the
> server side can export anything and the client side could choose to access
> just a single file and treat that as the block device (or maybe it is the
> only file exported).

This all sounds slightly overengineered to me, but perhaps that's just
me?

nbd-server can take a regular file, too, and export that. Nothing
special about that. People have suggested adding SCTP capabilities to
NBD in the past; and if someone writes a (working) patch for that I'll
gladly add it; but I don't think that having a generic server for a
whole bunch of protocols, one of which just happens to be nbd, is a very
good idea.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22