Re: [Nbd] 2.9.1 - 64 bit issue

On Fri, Dec 29, 2006 at 02:32:42PM +0100, Brecht Vermeulen wrote:
> Dear Wouter, all,
>
> I'm not sure about the versioning system (I'm rather new to nbd), but
> for the 2.8.7 release, there was a patch
> http://nbd.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/nbd/tags/RELEASE_2_8_7/nbd-server.c?r1=134&r2=135

Better go through /branches/ rather than /tags/ :)

> which changed u32 in unsigned long in the size autodetect function,
> which works better in 64 bit platforms.
> (exporting large systems doesn't work anymore)
>
> "Fix 64-bit issues; fix by Avi Kivity", nbd-server revision 135.
>
> However in the 2.9.1 release, this is still u32.

Oops.

> Is this some buggy branching issue,

Yes.

Usually, when I receive bug reports like that, I apply them to all
active branches. However, there are cases (such as the one you show me
right here) where I forget that.

I suppose I'll have to go through the list of differences between the
2.8 and the 2.9 branch (the latter is still trunk for the time being),
and see which other important commits I've missed when I find the time.

> or is it better to still use the 2.8.x release ? (question: are other
> fixes from 2.8.x then also missing in 2.9.x)

2.8.x is still supported, yes; and since 2.9.x is still fairly new and
has not seen many testing yet, it's probably best at this point to stick
to older releases for production use.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22