Re: [Nbd] nbd-client and nbd-server through stdin/stdout
- To: Wilhelm Meier <wilhelm.meier@...89...>
- Cc: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: [Nbd] nbd-client and nbd-server through stdin/stdout
- From: Wouter Verhelst <wouter@...3...>
- Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 22:14:48 +0200
- Message-id: <20060614201448.GF5859@...39...>
- In-reply-to: <200606141826.13295.wilhelm.meier@...89...>
- References: <200606141826.13295.wilhelm.meier@...89...>
On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 06:26:13PM +0200, Wilhelm Meier wrote:
> I saw a code-snippet in the nbd-server which would make it possible to
> connect nbd-server through stdin/stdout. But I did not see similar in
Correct, since that wouldn't work; nbd-client needs to hand a socket to
the kernel through an ioctl. For stdin/stdout to work, it would need to
do too much in userspace. This wouldn't be at all efficient.
> I would like to let nbd-server and -client communicate through a connection
> established/authenticated via another process, and then duplicate the
> filedescriptors an exec.
> Or are there any other possibilities to achieve authentication - despite from
> host-based with the ip-adresses in authfile.
Not at this point, though an authentication architecture would be nice.
Patches are welcome :-)
Fun will now commence
-- Seven Of Nine, "Ashes to Ashes", stardate 53679.4