Re: [Nbd] NBD_CMD_DISC in 2.7

On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 01:48:41AM -0700, gary ng wrote:
> Thanks. Do I need to have matching nbd-server and
> nbd-client ?

That's a good idea, but it's not much of an issue if you don't.

> My limited understanding is that the nbd kernel module
> still won't work unless I have run the nbd-client to
> 'import' some remote nbd-server export block device.

Correct.

> The reason I ask is that if I am on a debian woody
> system, the nbd-client/server is pretty old so if I
> have a nbd-server 2.7x system a new machine, can I
> still access it from a woody box with only old
> nbd-client ?

Yes. You could also use an nbd-client version 2.7 on the old woody box,
though.

> BTW, it would be nice if there is some "FAQ" talking
> about this new NBD_CMD_DISC stuff requirement, as it
> only appears in 2.6 kernel and many people out there
> are still running 2.4

Actually, that's a bug. I saw the NBD_CMD_DISC, and thought it was a
good idea to start using it. Didn't notice 2.4 doesn't have that yet...

--
         EARTH
     smog  |   bricks