Re: [Nbd] Clustering Questions

Wouter Verhelst wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by "reasonable", but it sure does sound
possible.
Reasonable = possible without months of hacking =)

You'll be interested in <http://borderworlds.dk/projects/#nr> for
setting up NBD on diskless clients, I think.
I'll check that out.

I've searched google and not found a whole lot.  One of the things I
read, and I don't remember where, was that you could swap across NBD.
Is this true?

Yes, but you need a patched kernel. AFAIK, those patches are no longer
maintained since I'm not well versed in kernel-space programming, and
the current kernel-space NBD maintainer doesn't work with those
patches. The patch is required to avoid deadlocks (which would occur
when a client tries to allocate memory to be able to make a call to the
server so that memory can be swapped out...)
I see, I'll look into this. I don't mind working inside kernel-space to get what I need done; actually, it kinda gives me warm fuzzies. I took a Linux Kernel Programming class towards the end of my Computer Science degree, I'm always looking for a good reason to get my hands dirty down in the core executive.

Cheers,
-ryan