Re: LSB Users & Groups

Previously George Kraft IV wrote:
> The thought was that some applications (and/or shell scripts)
> could/would fail if root.root, bin.bin, and daemon.daemon did not
> exist on a system

That doesn't answer my question though. There is no (documented or
otherwise) reason for bin and daemon existing. Nobody seems to know
what to use them for and I haven't ever seen anything that uses them.

Leaving them in LSB can only lead to different possibly conflicting
kinds of usage for those accounts which does not help at all.

The thought that an application might break also wasn't valid: applications
can break due to any difference between LSB and existing systems,
so if you follow that argument the LSB would have to document every
possible existing Linux system or an application just might break.

If an application does need an account for a special reason it can
always create a system account for itself and use that.

Wichert.

 /wichert@wiggy.net         This space intentionally left occupied \
| wichert@deephackmode.org            http://www.liacs.nl/~wichert/ |