[FWD: LSB specification review bug [ #422418 ] Offer to proof-read for typos and mispellings] (fwd)

Chris,

You replied regarding my offer to typo-check the lsb doc, and this is the
first I've actually had time to work on it.  Here's what I've noted so
far.  I don't know if there's some better format that I could put the
notes in - perhaps diffs of some docbook original?  So I'll just refer to
sections and paragraphs for now.  I'll go through it from top to
bottom and report whatever I notice.  Hope it helps.

Sincerely,
Trever Furnish, trever@wondious.com, 317.714.1401

Notes:
Section: Chapter 1. Introduction
Link: http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/gLSB/gLSB/introduction.html
Problem: Misspelling of the word "process" as "proces" in the last
sentence on the page.

Section: Chapter 1. Introduction. Purpose.
Link: http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/gLSB/gLSB/overpurp.html
Problem: The word "the" appears inappropriately in the next to the last
sentence in the last paragraph.  The sentence reads, "Only those routines
not described in standards referenced by this document, or extensions to
those standards, are described in THE detail."  Instead, it should read
"Only those routines not described in standards referenced by this
document, or extensions to those standards, are described in detail."

Section: Chapter 1. Introduction. Related Standards. Table 1-1.
Link: http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/gLSB/gLSB/rstandards.html
Problem: In column two of row four (which begins with "gABI_41", there's a
missing space in "System VApplication", which should instead be "System V
Application".

Section: Chapter 1. Introduction. Related Standards. Table 1-1.
Link: http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/gLSB/gLSB/rstandards.html
Problem: In column two of the row starting with "SUS-XCU", there's a
missing space between the number "5" and the text "(ISBN:".

Section: Chapter 1. Introduction. Related Implementations. Table 1-2.
Link: http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/gLSB/gLSB/rimplementations.html
Problem: Not sure this is a problem, but the row beginning with "RPC &
XDR" ends with "Still need API reference, instead of protocol reference".
Someone's idea of a "changemelater" notation?

Section: Chapter 1. Introduction. Related Libraries.
Link: http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/gLSB/gLSB/rlibraries.html
Problem: In the first sentence, the word "libraries" should not be
capitalized.

Problem: In the last sentence, there should be no double-quotation mark
after the word "default".

Section: Chapter 1. Introduction. Terminology.
Link: http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/gLSB/gLSB/terms.html
Problem: This may not be a problem at all, just a bit confusing.  The
definition for the term "can" says that it describes "a permissible
optional feature or behavior", but later sans that an "application CAN
RELY ON THE EXISTENCE OF THE FEATURE OR BEHAVIOR."  If it's "optional",
how can it be relied upon to be present?

Section: Chapter 4. Special Sections. ELF Special Sections.
Link: http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/gLSB/gLSB/specialsections.html
Problem: In the first sentence, the word "specification" should not be
capitalized.

Section: Chapter 4. Special Sections. Linux Special Sections.
Link: http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/gLSB/gLSB/linuxspecial.html
Problem: In the first sentence, "Linux specific" should be hyphenated as
"Linux-specific".

Section: Chapter 10. Libraries. cfsetspeed
Link: http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/gLSB/gLSB/baselib-cfsetspeed-3.html
Problem: In the subsection "Getting and Setting the Baud Rate", the last
sentence ends with "referenced by tp to speed" -- it should read
"referenced by t to speed" (no "p").  Um, at least I think that's what it
meant...

Section: Chapter 10. Libraries. daemon.
Link: http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/gLSB/gLSB/baselib-daemon-3.html
Problem: The subsection called "Errors" begins with "On error occurs, -1
is returned..."  The word "occurs" should be removed.

Section: Chapter 10. Libraries. error.
Link: http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/gLSB/gLSB/baselib-error-n.html
Problem: In the subsection labeled "Bugs", in the fourth sentence, the
word "error" is incorrectly hyphenated twice.  In the last sentence,
"hard- copy" has a space where there should be none.