Re: LSB Spec 1.0 Criticism

>From: Wichert Akkerman <wichert@wiggy.net>

>Previously Theodore Tso wrote:
>> CPIO format files specify file ownerships by numeric ID, not by name.

>As far as I know that is not true. Also rpm has a seperate metadata
>section with ownership for each file you can use so you never have
>to rely on the specific uid used (unless you have something is broken
>as qmail whichi hardcodes uids).

The CPIO format does not know user names it only uses uid's.

Tar uses user names by deafult and is the only POSIX format that will survive
in POSIX-200x as bein actively maintained. This is mainly as there
are already 6 completely incompatible CPIO archive formats and none of them
is able to store more than 8 GB per file.

Jörg

       schilling@fokus.gmd.de		(work) chars I am J"org Schilling