Re: PROPOSAL: lsb lib and lsb loader location

I agree that we haven't quite worked out al of the details. This particular
scenario should force us to sort things out sufficiently though.

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Doug Beattie wrote:

> What if anything are we doing to handle cases, as there will be on
> IA64, where we will have the native lsb lib directories, and
> additional ones to allow for IA32 binary execution on IA64?
>
> Do we say IA32 LSB compliant apps that could possibly run on IA64
> platforms loose their compliance if not native?
>
> Currently, IA64 distro's need to provide a /usr/lib/ia32 or some such
> area with /etc/ld.so.conf modified to also look for these additional
> libs and the loader is smart enough to know what to do with the apps.
> Do or should we have /ia32liblsb and /opt/lsb/ia32lib's too?
>
> Does anyone feel strongly or is the spec detailed to handle lsb
> compliance for IA32 apps trying to run in an IA64 environment, or is
> this not even something to worry about?
>
> Don Dugger of VA has implemented IA32 on IA64 so I have also included
> him in this mailing. (Sorry Don :( )
>
> Thanks for your comments,
> Doug

                                Stuart

Stuart R. Anderson                               anderson@metrolink.com

Metro Link Incorporated                          South Carolina Office
5807 North Andrews Way                           129 Secret Cove Drive
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33309                   Lexington, SC 29072
voice: 954.660.2500                              voice: 803.951.3630
http://www.metrolink.com/                        XFree86 Core Team
Creative Applications Lab Chair - SIGGRAPH 2001