Re: rpm specification & alien

Chris Yeoh writes:

> Whilst attempting to convert an RPM package to a deb package using
> alien I noticed that alien appears to have problems with preserving
> the ownership of files if the user accounts do not (yet) exist on the
> system on which the conversion is done. ...

> Do we need to add a note to the specification that requires that the
> RPM packages only rely on the ownership of files being preserved if
> those files are owned by user accounts required to exist by the LSB
> spec?

Chris' suggestion sounds both reasonable and sensible. A
straightforward policy like this would also enable stronger
enforcement of package file permissions, thereby making it more
difficult to be sloppy about such things.

Furthermore, a reduced set of allowable permissions might even
simplify the packaging process.

Cheers,
Mark