Re: Problems with dd and the keywords swab and sync

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Chris Yeoh wrote:

> Dale - do you think you could chase up with the upstream author to
> find out if the current behaviour is intentional?

I've been in contact with Jim Meyering, who is the principle maintainer of
the fileutils package containing dd, which is maintained by the FSF.

On the issue of the swab conversion, his position is that SUSv3 is correct
and that the correction was to come more in line with POSIX. So his
position is that it will work as POSIX declares and the odd character will
be appended to the output.

On the block,sync issues, this was the first he had heard about the
trailing null record generated by dd, and says he will look into fixing
that.

When I can get hold of the POSIX reference (I've just gotten access to the
austin group docs, thanks Andrew!) I'll site that for swab, and leave sync
as specified in the SUS.

Waiting is,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-