useradd

I am currently updating the commands and utilities part of the
specification, adding back the user and group commands and writing the
specification for them based on the man pages from the shadow package.

Some (at least Caldera/Red Hat) of the distributions have modified
versions of useradd which allow for the creation of 'system' accounts
which results in the assignment of lower nummber UIDs. We've been
asked to consider whether this option should be made part of the
standard (on Red Hat it is the '-r' flag).

This option is obviously useful for installation scripts, but it is
not implemented across all of the distributions yet and does not
appear to be in the upstream version of the shadow package yet. What
are peoples views on whether or not this should be included in the LSB
specification?

(I've cc'd the maintainer of the shadow package for Linux)

Chris.
--
cyeoh@linuxcare.com.au
Support Open Source Ice-Cream