Re: PROPOSAL: a common menu system.

Previously Alan Cox wrote:
> The KDE/Gnome people actually have a mostly interworking setup that unlike
> the proposal is

I've never liked the format the Debian system uses, but:

> o	Internationalised

We can do that as well

> o	Provides icon information

Same I think.

> o	Has a common heirarchy across both gnome/kde

That's an orthogonal issue to the format

> o	Handles mime items

Orthogonal to a menu item, I don't think we should mix those.

> o	Handles stuff being run in an xterm

We handle that just fine.

> The format is
>
> [Desktop Entry]
> String=value

I was talking with George Lebl and we were thinking of changing the
GNOME menu system as well since it was missing some features as well,
and switching it to a XML-based system at the same time.

> The tool part of the posted program may be sensible as where you put these
> files is a more interesting question.

I'm not sure what you mean here?

Wichert.

 / Generally uninteresting signature - ignore at your convenience  \
| wichert@liacs.nl                    http://www.liacs.nl/~wichert/ |