Re: Proposal: Motif Widget set

On Fri, May 19, 2000 at 07:23:40PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > Motif 2.1 is the state of the art and the UNIX standard.   I would object
> > > to specifying a subset of Motif 1.2.X.
> >
> > Lesstif is the Linux standard. At least all Motif programs I have commonly
> > seen for Linux worked with lesstif.
>
> Agreed. So we have consensus that this isnt for the LSB until Motif becomes
> free or Lesstif catches up. Having said that I'd encourage IBM to work outside
> the LSB on getting a binary motif spec

There may be not that much catching up needed. A lot of programs work with
Lesstif, including big commercial ones (like Netscape 4, IBM OpenDX, IBM JDK,
...) and big free ones (nedit, xephem, DDD, ...). Standardizing on the
lesstif subset would work for a big subset of programs. Until very recently
most commercial Unixes only shipped Motif 1.2 anyways.

-Andi