Re: [proofreading] Re: Initscripts management proposal

On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > > 	apmd atd crond dhclient dhcpcd gpm halt identd inet
> > > 	httpd kudzu klogd lpd mcserv named nfs nfslock pcmcia
> > > 	portmap random routed rstatd rusersd rwhod sendmail smb
> > > 	snmpd sshd syslog xfs xntpd ypbind
> >
> > I'd object to 'httpd' instead of 'apache'. What If I want to run both
> > roxen for normal sites and apache for SSL sites?
> > Also it's not consistant with 'sendmail' (why not 'smtpd' then?)
>
> The point surely is genericness
>
> How can a vendor depend on apache being started when the user might have
> thttpd instead for their cgi ?
>
> Being able to say 'after httpd' knowing all the httpd daemons are up is
> what you would want for say a web monitoring tool

So logic dictates that sendmail is unjust and should be replaced by smtpd
so it won't hurt if I kick out sendmail and use postfix instead.

Hugo.

hvdkooij@caiw.nl	http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~hvdkooij/
Use of any of my email addresses for unsollicited (commercial)
    email is a clear intrusion of my privacy and illegal!