Re: /usr/sbin/sendmail specification proposal, draft 4

Jakob,

Do you have a URL and/or API documentation that we could take a look at?
What is the ETA for the first release?

George Kraft IV
gk4@us.ibm.com
512-838-2688; t/l 678-2688
Linux Technology Center
IBM, Austin Texas

"Jakob 'sparky' Kaivo" <jkaivo@elijah.nodomainname.net> on 11/30/99
02:29:17 PM

To:   Stuart Anderson <anderson@metrolink.com>
cc:   George Kraft/Austin/IBM@IBMUS, lsb-spec@lists.linuxbase.org
Subject:  Re: /usr/sbin/sendmail specification proposal, draft 4

Stuart Anderson <anderson@metrolink.com> writes:

> On Tue, 30 Nov 1999 gk4@us.ibm.com wrote:
>

> > Then is the ultimate goal to create a GNU libmta.so or libmapi.so for
> > UNIX/Linux?    Could we note this in the LSB specification that this is
> > what is needed for consistency, then create an LSB/GNU todo to have a
new
> > subproject created?
>
> This is what I have though was needed for a long time. Doesn't c-client
> provide most of this functionallity?

Yes, but c-client is horribly slow, leaves mailboxes with annoying "DO
NOT DELETE THIS MESSAGE -- FOLDER INTERNAL DATA" messages, and is
under the circumspect UW license...

But, there is hope. I have been working (with a couple of others) on
the forthcoming GNU mailutils package, which includes, among other
things, a library (may become libraries) that provide better than
c-client funcionality under LGPL. I hadn't mentioned it before because
I didn't want it to sound like a conflict of interests, but in this
case the API is still under development and can still be adaptable to
emerging standards such as this. Comments are, of course, welcome.

--
Jakob 'sparky' Kaivo - jkaivo@ndn.net - http://jakob.kaivo.net/