Re: LSB specification for adding users and groups

djb <djb@redhat.com> writes:

> What about binaries that have uid/gid info hard coded?  qmail used to
> do this, at least (and may still, I have no idea).  Even if it doesn't,
> do we need to state that LSB compliant apps *can't* hard code uids?

Yes, we need to.  LSB apps can't hard code uids and gids.  It really
limits the chances that things will work right.

Exception for UID 0 being superuser?

Also, many sites don't even use the same /etc/passwd and /etc/group as
distributed with a Linux distribution because they are had to
integrate them into a network with other pre-existing Unix systems.

Dan