Re: LSB specification for adding users and groups

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Th different numeric id ranges are important, though, if you want them
> preserved.  I think recently it's become obvious that we need to provide
> at least one uid range that is reserved for the distribution, so that we
> don't end up having people's real users and package uids conflict.

How about just ignoring uids altogether, and only specifiying unames? As
tar, rpm, and dpkg all set ownerships by uname rather then id, why bother
specifying the ids at all?

Erik

|       "For the next two hours, VH1 will be filled with foul-mouthed,        |
|          crossdressing Australians. Viewer discretion is advised."          |
|   Linux Application Development  --  http://www.redhat.com/~johnsonm/lad    |