Re: now online: list of specification proposals

H Peter Anvin <hpa@transmeta.com> writes:

> Excellent.  For what it's worth; I'm currently in the process of
> reviewing the first Austin Group draft (basically the common superset of
> the Single Unix spec and POSIX).  If you have any immediate comments,
> please let me or Ulrich know as soon as possible.

Not directly related, but I should get it off my chest.  The LSB draft
specification (Stuart's main one, not the specification proposals)
says:

| Chapter 4. Object Files
|
| Executable files shall use the ELF format as defined in chapter 4 of
| the gABI & psABI.

But, I have heard from several people that the documented ELF format
is one of bad, evil, or just plain wrong and that we (Linux and glibc)
have diverged somewhat.  The LSB specification needs to be fixed.

One Directly related concern: what about the license on the Austin
Group draft?  Can something be done about improving access to it?

- Dan