Re: Shared Libraries and naming conventions

At 17:04 +0100 1999-05-30, Alan Cox wrote:
  As a special exception, if you link this library with files
  compiled with a GNU compiler to produce an executable, this does
  not cause the resulting executable to be covered by the GNU General
  Public License.  This exception does not however invalidate any
  other reasons why the executable file might be covered by the GNU
  General Public License.  */
And note a -GNU- compiler. Not even another GPL compiler. You can't even
use it with a competing free software product to produce non free binaries.

I see what this is, this is clearly copied from the libgcc.a special exception, without consideration of its results.

Have you discussed this with RMS?

I'm certain he'd agree to relicense the it under LGPL, as was done with several other parts of glibc.
--
Joel Klecker (aka Espy)                    Debian GNU/Linux Developer
<URL:mailto:jk@espy.org>                 <URL:mailto:espy@debian.org>