sys_nerr

Okay, folks, I seem to be having a dense period.
I'm pretty sure I have known the answer to this once in
a previous life.

I've got an app I'm trying to compile in LSB mode.
It builds a table of its' own (short) error messages,
not wanting to use strerror/perror for some reason
I'm not aware of.

Along the way it uses sys_nerr to help allocate
a message table of the right size, and to determine
whether a message is in the internal table or should
be generated on-the-fly.

Of course, sys_nerr is not a public symbol in the LSB.
How would I work around this?

Thanks,

Mats