Re: The future of PyGopherd

On Mon, Jun 15 2020, James Tomasino wrote:

> On 6/15/20 8:15 PM, John Goerzen wrote:
>> 2) Would anybody be interested in adding UMN gopherd metadata support to
>> another server?  (there was some discussion in IRC about geobyidae doing
>> this but I'm unsure how that progressed)
>
> Are there any resources that describe these metadata bits in their entirety?

Sadly "in their entirety", no.  However -

The documentation at
https://github.com/jgoerzen/pygopherd/blob/master/doc/pygopherd.pdf
provides a user-level perspective.  Relevant bits to search for:

.names
.abstract
.Links
.cap

https://web.calpoly.edu/~ias/userguides/CentralUNIX/pdf/AIX90301.PDF
also has some information.

quux.org exposes these files if you know how to look (appending /.cap to
URLs, etc)

Sadly AFAICT this was never really documented clearly by UMN.  However,
it's also, in traditional gopher fashion, not hugely complicated.

John