Re: What's the status of Mostognir?

I've been running Motsognir at ratthing.com for a couple of years now and it is great!  I've experimented quite a bit with its ability to run PHP plugins.

RL

On 8/21/19 3:53 AM, Bradley D. Thornton wrote:

Perhaps I should direct this question directly to Mateusz Viste?

But I'm putting it out here on the list for GP (general purposes) anyway
.

Has there been any updates on this daemon since 20160510?

Can anyone who is running it as a server offer their observations as
an operator? I know we've evolved a bit here with discussions of TLS
and other resources in the past three years, and aside from the two
most active projects I see (Gophernicus and Geomidae, with Bucktooth
prominently deserving of mention), I want to include as much viable
and stable software as I can in my upcoming article - even John's
somewhat unmaintained PyGopherD.

As far as OverBite is concerned, I'm still experiencing some really
fucked up issues in FF with infinite loops opening multiple tabs
whenever I enter a gopher://URI, but Cameron assured me that it's my
box and not something that other folks are experiencing, so before I
publish anything I guess I'll have to spin up a wYNd0z3 VM and give it
another go - jeez, I really should use something other than lynx,
shouldn't I? lolz.

I'm compiling a list mostly of clients too - since this is not unlike
a marketing PR or PSA reminding the public of this valuable, relevant,
and dare I say contemporary service as a resource we know as Gopher.

Feel free to chime in, I've only got about ten years or so of archives
from this and the former list. Links are welcome, appreciated, and
encouraged.

And also, Mateusz wrote a wYNd0z3 gopher client called, "The Gopher
Client Browser for Windows version 1.1" - any news on that? I found it
to be quite operational on a windows box and was interested in
gathering feedback from others who might be using it as well, for some
articles I've been asked to write.

I'm really tired of Gopher being characterized as a novelty from
yesteryear, and only relevant as a nostalgic oddity - it was the
hyperlinked service of the Internet that powered almost all online
libraries, many Internet resources, and once again, is gaining
popularity as a lean machine, rather than some red-headed stepchild
obviated by HTTP.

Moving forward, can we all agree to refer to it in present tense,
instead of past tense as some nkche hobbiest platform that is only
relevant in demonstrating the so-called, 'good ole days'?

I mean, really now, we have our own slot at port 70 in /etc/services
on all UNIX variants.

I'm hoping this is going to be a really long thread. I wish to be
thorough in my treatment of one of my fav furry animals ;)

I can haz #cheezburgerz?

Kindest regards,

- -- Bradley D. Thornton
Manager Network Services