Re: What's the status of Mostognir?

On Wed, 21 Aug 2019, Bradley D. Thornton wrote:

Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2019 01:53:08 -0700
From: Bradley D. Thornton <Bradley@NorthTech.US>
To: Gopher Project Discussion <gopher-project@other.debian.org>
Subject: What's the status of Mostognir?
Can anyone who is running it as a server offer their observations as
an operator? I know we've evolved a bit here with discussions of TLS

From an amateur end of things I can not say much of detailed merit. But I
run pygopherd on a few machines for fileserv on a ramshackle LAN. It was simple to set up and largely reliable. The ability of gopher to function as an annotated ftp-ish whatsit is appealing to me for this use case.

I'm compiling a list mostly of clients too - since this is not unlike
a marketing PR or PSA reminding the public of this valuable, relevant,
and dare I say contemporary service as a resource we know as Gopher.

I am a fan of lynx and wish the web still cleaved to it. So often use that for gopher. Very different in UX is Solderpunk's lovely VF-1, which is wonderful for phlog reading and was designed for that. https://github.com/solderpunk/VF-1 There is also the Gopher Client on the ios store. I enjoy it very much, though wish it had folders for bookmarks and better integration with transferring to and fro other apps.

I'm really tired of Gopher being characterized as a novelty from
yesteryear, and only relevant as a nostalgic oddity - it was the
hyperlinked service of the Internet that powered almost all online
libraries, many Internet resources, and once again, is gaining
popularity as a lean machine, rather than some red-headed stepchild
obviated by HTTP.

Gopher can indeed cut the clutter. I get tired of the web, and even worse, web2.0... Gopher gets the goods quickly. Why fire up some advert laden bandwidth smashing app when Floodgap can tell you the weather directly?

Even an unschooled eye like mine can tell there are unplumbed potentials. I have odd trouble with CJK text on both server and client side. Unicode is nice, I don't think it ruins the minimalist perfection of our rodent friend. And simpler client side support for media filetypes would be nice. And why not a mobile client like VF1 that is a reader with a notepad and bookmarks that can be annotated? An ability to mark a phlog as "read" or flag it in such a client would be a nifty way to build a wider user base: Gopher as easy mobile platform. If the whole TLS thing were for reals and accessible to mortals, one could even post via gopher.

Well, just some fanciful notions. I reckon there to be many people out there who would take to gopher given novel context.

I can haz #cheezburgerz?

Yes, and you may haz. Cheeburgy cheeburgy cheep cheep coke coke.

Shufei