Re: April Fools’ Day

On 2019-04-14, Randall Wood <randall@woodbriceno.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Apr 2019 14:01:03 +0200
> Christian Kellermann <ckeen@pestilenz.org> wrote:
>
>> * Jacob Head <gopher@jacob-head.com> [190402 13:50]:
>> > Dear all,
>> >
>> > In case anyone else hasn’t seen it, Devuan replaced its homepage with
>> > the following yesterday:
>> >
>> > <https://www.devuan.org/pwned.html>
>> >
>> > “THE WEB SUCKS -- JAVASCRIPT SUCKS -- BROWSERS SUCK
>> > GOPHER IS THE WAY -- GOPHER IS THE FUTURE“
>> >
>> > There’s some discussion here, some of which is curiously po-faced:
>> >
>> > <https://soylentnews.org/article.pl?sid=19/04/01/1048230>
>> >
>> > although I wonder how many people have a gopher client installed since I
>> > can’t see anyone spotting that they failed to replicate their html in
>> > plain text:
>> >
>> > <gopher://devuan.org/1/pwned.htm>
>> >

> The joke? continues.  I used lynx to go to gopher;//www.devuan.org/pwned.html and got "don't waste your time you moron! Just go to gopher://devuan.org"; which, when I did so, turns out to be full Devuan news feed.  I'm impressed!

The Devuan email list had a discussion about it with the subject "DEVUAN.ORG HAS BEEN PWNED", but since I didn't see any message in that thread admitting that it was a joke, I have decided for now not to use that gopherhole. I'm not sure if it's safe, or I probably don't understand their sense of humor.
--
Héctor Abreu