April Fools’ Day

Dear all,

In case anyone else hasn’t seen it, Devuan replaced its homepage with
the following yesterday:

<https://www.devuan.org/pwned.html>

“THE WEB SUCKS -- JAVASCRIPT SUCKS -- BROWSERS SUCK
GOPHER IS THE WAY -- GOPHER IS THE FUTURE“

There’s some discussion here, some of which is curiously po-faced:

<https://soylentnews.org/article.pl?sid=19/04/01/1048230>

although I wonder how many people have a gopher client installed since I
can’t see anyone spotting that they failed to replicate their html in
plain text:

<gopher://devuan.org/1/pwned.htm>

It’s not the first time I’ve seen this joke. A few years ago a computing
society at my university did something similar, although I think their
version had two advantages by: a) not suggesting that their servers had
been compromised (!); and b) actually setting up some gopher pages and
displaying them through an gopher->http proxy.

It makes me wonder if 1st April is going to be peak gopher traffic day
from now on!

Best wishes,

Jacob

--