Re: What happended with the list?

On 5/16/2018 3:39 AM, David Woodfall wrote:
On Wednesday 16 May 2018 07:37,
SP <sp@orbitalfox.eu> put forth the proposition:

I know, that's what I said. It is intentional. The recipient can then know that they have been mentioned in the list, rather than receiving an email from the list that could be an irrelevant copy. Modern lists notice this and they don't send a second copy.

Meaning:

They don't get an email from the list, which means that their folder
for that particular mailing list is missing a reply to a thread that
they have made because it likely slipped past their email filters.

Yes. And it is VERY annoying.

They get an email direct from you that won't be filtered into the
folder for that particular list.

So they end up having to manually save the email into the list
folder.

Yes. And I *just now* found one of those emails sent in such a manner day before yesterday and had to manually move it to my gopher folder because my filters (correctly so) missed it.

That is not how mailing lists are meant to work. You should reply to
the list. I've had replies directly to me in the past and the above
has happened. It's annoying to say the least.

Yes. To say the least.

Please don't reply directly to me or CC me.

That goes for me too. If someone does wish to send me a private *off list* email, and it pertains to something originating from the list, then please mark it [PRIVATE], or [OFF LIST],  in the subject line, as per common netiquette, so I know you're actually sending me a private email. I'll go ahead and forward that errant email to the list now, where it belongs.

I've already demonstrated how a list admin can fix this behavior (If they're going to), so no need for me to mention that again. Suffice it to say that other folks are quite likely to keep bringing this up out of confusion until/unless that list behavior is adjusted.

Thanks for clarifying those points Dave :)

--
Bradley D. Thornton
Manager Network Services

---