Re: [gopher] Future of this mailing list

On 2017-10-18 15:16 -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
[...]
> I used to maintain an ISP's INN server and tin client back in the day.
> I know how this stuff works.  I used Gnus for mail and news for yeras.
> But I have zero participation on Usenet anymore.  The protocol doesn't
> permit sync of state across devices like IMAP does.  It is quite
> inconvenient.

It is true. In my case, I rsync the news client (Gnus) files across
machines. But this isn't an option as good as the server-side flags IMAP
keeps -- I just don't have a strong need to look for anything better --
and it also limits you to using only one news client, while IMAP makes
it possible to use several clients, yet see the same server-side flags.

The only easy workaround I know of for people who have to switch a lot
across machines is to connect to the same machine to read newsgroups,
and that quickly gets rid of the advantage of the protocol being
UI-agnostic, as then you can't use different UIs for different systems
(e.g. something more suited to a small screen and a numpad keyboard on a
so-called "feature phone").

--
Nuno Silva