Re: [gopher] ML moderator election

Greetings comrades.

On Wed, 09 Aug 2017 07:59:49 +0200 Jacob Head <gopher@jacob-head.com> wrote:
> On 08/08/17 18:10, Matt Owen (Jaruzel) wrote:
>
> > Likewise, a simple WWW to/from NNTP interface is a no-brainer, and easily
> > built.  I'm liking the Usenet idea more and more to be honest (but I've not
> > been here long enough to have a vote really!)
>
> I appreciate that I am far more a consumer than a contributor to these
> discussions, but I doubt that I am alone in being someone who would
> probably fail to motivate myself to continue to follow gopher
> developments if all discussion shifted to Usenet. The reason for this is
> simply that it has been over a decade since I last read Usenet on a
> regular basis and it seems to me that the very low volumes (but high
> quality, I should add!) of conversations that take place here are much
> more suited to a mailing list that NNP in these days where few of us are
> subscribed to a dozen-or-so newsgroups. I like the fact that I
> occasionally get a few emails which are easy to read as I try to keep
> from drowning in my mailbox.
>
> I’d therefore very much hope that we can continue some form or
> mailing-list, somewhere or other but, of course, there is nothing to
> stop the regular contributors from migrating away to the endless world
> of flame wars and spam if that is what they prefer[*]!

I try to summarize the discussion:
* NNTP is nice and we could reuse the old newsgroup.
* NNTP is a technology most people do not know how to use anymore.
* People would like to keep to the mailinglist metaphor of receiving new
  mailinglist posts to their regular e-mail inbox.
* Ray Lopez set up some gopher-tech mailinglist. (Thanks!)
* Someone mentioned some technical problems with debian alioth, which I never
  had to deal with.

With the current solution (and a new faster moderator) we have the mailinglist
mirrored to newsgroups and web interfaces to both forums.

Thanks Ray Lopez for setting the gopher-tech ml up. I guess we will only need
some migration in case alioth does not respond.

So my proposal:
1. Vote on a new moderator.
2. Announce this to alioth to change this.
3. Monitor the alioth technical background if there are really issues.
4. Write a gopher interface for newsgroups.
5. Write a gopher interface for the gopher ml archive.

If we agree on this, I will start the election.

Sincerely,

Christoph Lohmann