Re: [gopher] TLS situation in gopher [was: Re: Gophernicus 2.4 "Millennium Edition" released]

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 07:56:17PM -0800, James Mills wrote:
> I feel like there is a way to support TLS from the server-side whilst
> remaining backwards compatible with non-TLS clients.

I wonder if there's any way to have opportunistic tls here (i.e. a starttls
equivalent) .  I'm not too sure how one would implement this but I'm
thinking this would be easier in terms of backward compatibility since any
non-tls clients wouldn't ask the server for tls and thus wouldn't get it.
This would allow using the same selectors for both tls and non-tls clients
which may help with deploying this feature.

Cheers,
Adam.