Re: [gopher] Gopher 2.0?

On 23 Jan 2016, at 20:46, NN NN <aepedia@yandex.ru> wrote:

>> By that measure, *anything* involving Gopher is 'rather useless'.
>
> Maybe. But I would like to say that an unlimited internet connection is far cheaper. SMS messages are very expensive. As communication type they are dead at least 5 years.

As a counter-argument let me just say that SMS is free and has been for 10 years or so. See how useless it is to argue without knowing the context?

As for context, where I live 100/100mbit/s unlimited (yes, unlimited) fiber is ~10 USD per month and I use that to run very busy servers with tens of thousands of active users. SMS is free for all practical purposes, landline doesn't exist and hasn't existed for 15 years, calls are practically free, mobile phone contracts are 10 USD per month and 5" OLED-screen octacore quality mobiles with Android 5 cost less than 200 USD. No, not per month, that's a one-time payment after which you *own* then phone.

I still like hacking Gopher and telling you kids to get off my lawn. If I had one, that is - I don't, because we live in 450 square feet tiny apartments that cost a metric shitload.

Stop arguing about shit you don't know anything about, ok? All of you. You know shit, so just accept it and get on with your lives.

--

I should really find some time to finish the Debian package for Gophernicus 2.0 so I could make a proper release and not some alpha/beta. Doesn't really matter for me, but the BSD's have Gophernicus in their ports tree and rightfully refuse to put any alphas or betas there.

- Kim