Re: [gopher] Preference in Gopher clients

Op 07-01-16 om 02:01 schreef James Mills:
I really like the wa Overbite for FF works and represents things.

I think in today's modern world; one just needs to improve upon Overbite and add extra support for rendering other types of resources (ideally both inline with the + and full view).

At first this a "me too". I also like the Overbite interface.

But this made me think about how important Overbite is IMHO. Gopher is extremely obscure. Much more then Tor or i2p.

If there is no Overbite plugin or a very similar plugin for Firefox and/or for Google Chrome I believe Gopherweb will get its final blow. It will be come even more obscure and tiny then it currently is.

Yes, you can use Lynx or some other even more obscure text browser. There are some very old GUI gopher-only browsers that could still work more or less on some platforms.

But that is for expert-nerds. And if you need to use a web-to-gopher proxy ; what is the fun then?

To keep Gopherweb on life support the first mission of the gopher community must be to keep Overbite or similar current.

Making new, modern and actively developed gopher server software - like there is currently - is also very important. But a bit less then Overbite.

There are several usable gopher sever software solutions but there is only one Overbite.

Walter

--
Verzonden vanaf mijn computer (onnozel hé?)